Find the right carrier for your shipping needs!
Below is a step-by-step guide to help you find a transport company for your freight. This is crucial to ensure efficient and reliable transportation of your goods.
1. Identify Your Freight Requirements:
- Understand your Freight: Clearly define the type of freight you need to transport. Consider factors such as size, weight, perishability, fragility, and any special handling requirements.
- Determine Your Volume: Asses the volume of freight you want to transport, whether it’s a one-time shipment or ongoing shipments.
- Consider Special Requirements: If your freight requires temperature control, hazardous materials handing, or other specialized services, make not of those requirements as they will increase the cost of your freight.
2. Know your Budget:
- Determine a budget for your freight. You can set a budget for shipping for the whole year, or per shipment. Do keep in mind that cost for shipping tend to fluctuate through a year based on fuel prices. Consider not only the shipping cost but also and additional fees or surcharges your freight may need. Additional costs can include (power tailgates, places with no dock, driver assistance, cross border fees, customs broker fees)
3. Research and Identify Potential Carriers:
- Industry Research: Research companies that specialize in transporting the type of freight you have. Industry publications, trade association’s, online directories and company websites can be valuable resources in finding the right carrier.
- Ask for Recommendations: Seek recommendations for industry peers, suppliers, or logistic professionals who may have experience with reliable and high service carriers.
4. Check Credentials:
- Safety and Compliance: Ensure they are properly licensed, insured, and compliant with all relevant regulations and safety standards
- Track Record: Look at the track record for on-time delivery, cargo security, and customer service. Check for customer reviews and references.
- Financial Stability: Assess the financial stability to ensure they can handle your shipments without financial risk.
5. Request Quotes:
- Contact Carriers: Reach out to selected carriers and request detailed quotes for your specific freight transportation needs.
- Ask for Transparent Pricing: Ensure that carriers provide transparent pricing that includes all costs, such as fuel surcharges, accessorial’s, and insurance.
6. Evaluate Proposals:
- Compare Pricing: Compare the quotes from different carriers based on pricing, reliability, ratings and an additional services or value they offer.
- Service Quality: Assess the carrier’s commitment to service quality, including their delivery schedules, customer support, and communication
- Equipment and Technology: Consider the carriers fleet, technology, and tracking capabilities. Advances technology can provide better visibility into your shipments.
- Insurance Coverage: Verify the carrier’s cargo insurance coverage and whether it aligns with your freight’s value and requirements.
7. Check References:
- Ask for references from businesses that have used their services. Contact these references to get insights into their experiences with the carrier.
8. Negotiate Terms:
- Engage in negotiations with the preferred carrier(s) to ensure that the terms, pricing, and services level agreements meet your needs
9. Review Contracts:
- Carefully review and finalize contracts with the selected carriers(s). Ensure that all terms, conditions, and expectations are documented clearly.
10. Monitor and Maintain the Relationship:
- Establish regular communications and monitoring processes with the carrier to ensure the ongoing quality and reliability of their services.
11. Continuously Review and Adapt:
- Regularly evaluate the relationship to ensure it remains a good fit for your freight need. Be prepared to make changes if necessary.
Remember that the right company for your freight may vary depending on specific requirements and the nature of your shipments. Thoroughly vetting potential carriers and establishing strong partnerships will help ensure the successfully transportation of your goods.
Using Freight platforms like Freightnav can help expedite this entire process. Each carrier is pre-vetted in our system, you can submit the shipment you want moved and you will receive multiple quotes automatically, plus many will submit spot quotes. You can review all authorities, insurance documents, current star rating, and even chat with the carrier, all before booking your shipment. Thus saving you multiple hours in vetting, research and cost analysis.
Want to learn more? Visit our blog on Digital Freight VS Traditional Freight and see why encompassing an automated freight platform can expedite your business.